Saltimbocca (Jump-in-the-Mouth) Roman Style
MEAT • PORK • GLUTEN FREE
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 12 thin slices of lean pork loin
- 12 thin slices of Italian prosciutto
- 3 Tbs. butter
- 12 fresh sage leaves
- 1 glass of dry white wine
- ½ glass dry Marsala wine
- brown rice flour
- Sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Pound pork loin slices for tenderness.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Add one fresh sage leaf and one slice of prosciutto.
- Roll slices up, dust lightly in rice flour and secure with a toothpick.
- Warm butter in a pan, lay meat rolls in a single layer, turning them to cook evenly, about 10 minutes.
- Prepare a serving plate with layer of fresh baby spinach leaves and lay saltimbocca on top.
- Add wine to the cooking juice in the pan, scrubbing bottom well to detach caramelized gravy.
- Cook for about 5 minutes on low heat, drizzle over saltimbocca and serve.
- The above is adapted from a popular Roman recipe.
I prepared this for the Harbin Hot Springs Security people on March 20, 2016, during the reconstruction of the facilities after the devastating Valley Fire. The theme of the day was 'Roman Lunch' and in addition to the saltimbocca the menu included, Brigit's Bruschetta, Whole Wheat Spaghetti alla Puttanesca, and fresh green salad.
- On September 12, 2015, Harbin burned to the the ground in 10 hours of unchecked raging inferno. About 1,300 homes and several hundred businesses and rural structures were lost when the Valley Fire was finally put out completely over a month later.
- The original Roman recipe calls for veal slices instead of pork and the meat rolls are dusted with white wheat flour instead of brown rice flour.
- Pair with a nice, medium bodied Cabernet Sauvignon, Chianti, Barbera, or Negroamaro.
Warning: include(../../../../includes/rec_glutenfree.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/10/6971210/html/jj/homecooking/recipes/meat/pork/saltimbocca/index.php on line 142
Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '../../../../includes/rec_glutenfree.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5_3/lib/php') in /home/content/10/6971210/html/jj/homecooking/recipes/meat/pork/saltimbocca/index.php on line 142
HOME COOKING • HERBS & PLANTS • VISUAL ARTS • WRITTEN WORDS • HISTORY • CONTACTS